About Bates County Memorial Hospital (BCMH)
Bates County Memorial Hospital (BCMH), located approximately 60 miles south of Kansas City in Butler, Mo., serves Bates County and the surrounding communities, including Adrian, Archie, Amoret, Amsterdam, Appleton City, Butler, Drexel, Foster, Hume, Montrose, Nevada, Rich Hill and Rockville.
BCMH is a 60-bed acute care facility. We offer a wide range of services including a 24-hour physician-staffed emergency department, inpatient and outpatient surgery.
Commitment to Health Care
With our caring physicians, dedicated employees and specialty services, we are committed to providing health care with state-of-the-art technology. We are proud to offer extensive outpatient specialty clinics, with a qualified and professional staff. More than 120 health care providers comprise the medical and allied health staffs at BCMH and represent a broad cross-section of specialty care areas.
We invite you to get to know us better and discover all BCMH has to offer.
BCMH Through The Years….
HISTORY OF BATES COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
In response to the great need in our growing city, Mrs. S.C. Stayton rented a two-story house at 107 S. Havana Street and opened a hospital. She furnished five upstairs rooms for patient use and local doctors furnished an operating room. The first patient was admitted on June 17, 1926. Mrs. Stayton was manager, and for the first year, the citizens of Butler paid for a registered nurse. Within a few months, it was necessary to convert the first floor into patient rooms.
In 1932, Mrs. Stayton convinced the City to purchase property for a new hospital. She built the Butler Memorial Hospital in memory of her late husband. The building was two stores high and had a daylight basement. It was located at the corner of Maple and College Streets. This hospital opened June 23, 1932.
In 1943 the City of Butler purchased the building for $20,000. Many additions and improvements were made over the years, but by the late 1950’s, it was apparent that a larger, more modern facility was needed.
Early in the year 1957, the State Division of Health adopted new rules and regulations for the operation of hospitals in Missouri. Unless costly improvements were made very soon, Butler Memorial Hospital was in danger of losing its license. thousands of dollars would be needed to satisfy these new laws. Included in the laws were costly fire prevention regulations, and many, many safety rules. It was decided that a new county hospital should be built.
At that time the hospital was admitting an average of 1,400 patients each year, and between 65 and 70 percent of these patients lived outside the residential limits of Butler.
Candidates were picked from every section of Bates County, according to population figures, to form a new Board for the new County hospital.
It was decided to raise funds for the new hospital by voting on a county bond issue in the amount of $350,000.
On Thursday, January 16, 1969, groundbreaking ceremonies marked the new 40-bed addition to Bates County Memorial. In February, 1970, the new addition to the hospital was completed. Added were 13 semi-private rooms, 6 private rooms, a 4-bed Intensive Care Unit, and a 4-bed Pediatrics Ward. This brought our total bed capacity to 90 beds and 10 bassinet nursery.
On January 1, 1973, the City of Butler gave Bates County Memorial Hospital $10,000 in operating funds and our first ambulance. In December 1974, another addition to Bates County Memorial Hospital was completed. This expansion included a cafeteria, kitchen, kitchen storage area, doctors’ library and living quarters, Social Service office, purchasing office and storeroom, housekeeping and laundry, a classroom, Medical Records office and storage, and the ambulance garage. In 1977, another addition was completed. This addition provided a new Pharmacy, Outpatient Office, waiting room and treatment rooms, as well as adding much needed space for our Respiratory Care Department.
In 2003, the last addition to the hospital added during its first 50 years was completed. The hospital added a second story to its building to accommodate an Obstetrical Suite, Medical/Surgical suite, and Critical Care Unit. The first floor of the hospital expanded to accommodate a new Outpatient Clinic area, Rehabilitation Services that included Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy and Occupational Therapy, new Pharmacy, new front lobby, and new admissions areas. The cost of this addition was $13.35 million dollars.